10.1.07

she keeps pace

she keeps pace
with all that I say.
as we match our scars
they disappear for a day.

Angeline, I can only
keep you this way.

each trauma agreed upon
in a pissing contest
new yarns spawned
and we agree again.

what I meant was,
find me someday by
accident, under a truck.

take a pen knife and straw
and open my airway up.

this push you have
toward perfection
-close enough to touch-

is fucking sharp as hell but
doesn't mean enough.

all edge and bluff and cliff
and middle fingers up and
shouting 'so what'?

I came to light your face
not take away your tough.

Angeline, I can only
keep you this way.

I swear to god
on my death bed or his
I'll come back to recieve
your hatred.

I will act as if I was gentle,
surprised to find that change
has penetrated the glass case,
surprised to be cut by a clean break.

With my old eyes and
hands raised, giving you power,
trying to explain, I will say

'Angeline, I could only ever
keep you, this way.

the market was broken your
love was no good there
I had no where to put it-
nowhere'